- Read CC’s mission and core values. Help to make these ideals real in the way you approach your work and interactions at the college.
- Watch the Diversity Task Force website at http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/DTF/ and the daily “Digest” announcements for programs and activities which offer opportunities for direct participation and on-going learning about people who differ from you.
- Invite students with backgrounds that differ from your own to a meal at your house through the Breaking Bread program. Contact the Dean’s Office at 389-6689 for more information.
- Make connections with interested prospective students. Contact
the Admissions Office at 389-6054.
- Attend at least two events per semester that focus on perspectives and/or are sponsored by on-campus groups whose backgrounds differ from your own.
- Talk to people! Seek to establish at least one new relationship with a person who has a different background from your own. Learn about their perspectives and share yours with them.
- Visit the Office of Minority Student Life in Worner Center to find out about resources they offer and ask for other suggestions!
- Seek creative, collaborative ways to work through conflicts when they arise, whether cultural, ideological, or other (hint: resources are available to you -- just talk with a member of the Diversity Task Force for access and support.)
- Move beyond “The Golden Rule.” Consider doing to others as they themselves would have done to them, rather than doing unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- Read a book or watch a film by an author or filmmaker who possesses a different background/perspective from your own. Visit the DTF website at http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/DTF/ or Tutt Library for a list of readings, videos and DVDs on reserve (just ask at the Reserve Desk).
Bonus: Suggest additions to this list by contacting the Diversity Task Force!
* Soon to be 20…or 50…or 100…help us grow this list!
For more information, please contact Victor Nelson-Cisneros, DTF co-chair,
at 389-6686, or any member of the task force.