Early students of the college studied plane and spherical trigonometry as well as advanced algebra which included logarithms, the binomial theorem, other infinite series, and solutions of numerical equations of any degree. Analytic geometry and the beginnings of calculus followed. In the 1889 bulletin of the college (frontispiece shown above right), mathematics for the first time is described as a coherent course of study. For a more detailed account of the curriculum development see Evolution of the Mathematics Curriculum.
Indicative of the period is the 1896 college bulletin which was the first to fully list the courses offered in Mathematics and Astronomy:
The course on the Theory of Substitutions deserves further note.
Dr. Eugen Netto of the University of Giessen wrote The Theory of
Substitutions and its Applications to Algebra in 1882. It was
translated into English by Dr. F.N.Cole in 1892. The subject involves
studying functions of n variables by observing which "substitutions"
(or permutations) of the variables leave the value of the function
fixed. The set of such substitutions forms a group. The study connects
facts about groups with facts about the corresponding functions and
leads naturally to Galois theory. The appearance of such a course so
early on indicates that the department (Cajori and Loud)
wished to introduce students to the latest mathematics.