On the basement floor of Palmer Hall was a major lecture hall
called the "Pit", located in the middle of the north side (Palmer 16
and 18). The nationally known mathematician
George Birkhoff lectured in the "Pit" when
he visited the college in 1924.
With the major remodeling in the early 1960's, the floor was leveled making more room underneath
for two useable areas: a classroom and a storage area which became a
computer room. Through the early 1990's, the computer room evolved
into the Mathematics Computer Lab.
A class convenes in the Pit (circa 1947):