Walter M. Hatch Papers, Mf 0122
Walter M. Hatch was President of the Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company. This collection contains his correspondence during the year 1886. (For related information, see Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company Records, 1883-1884, Ms 0255.)
The Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company was formed at Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1883 to create an endowment fund for the support and maintenance of Colorado College. This was the 'plan' of Colorado College President E.P. Tenney to accept the property of the Colorado College Land Company for bonding purposes. The Colorado College Land Company had been incorporated on March 6, 1882, with Tenney as the principal stockholder. Tenney's land development plan collapsed in 1884 which led to his removal as president of Colorado College and years of legal difficulties for the College.
Correspondence of Walter M. Hatch
- Mf 0122, envelope 1
- Mar. 29, 1886 From: T. E. Vincent (Sibley, Ill.)
- A request for a pension with mention of an enclosed certificate of
examination and resume of financial status. Mentions General Black.
- Sept. 22, 1886 From: Thomas and Barnard (Bloomington, Ill.)
- Notice of expiration of a fire insurance policy and asking
permission to renew with a policy from The Hartford. Letterhead: Western
Department, Fire Insurance Association of England.
- Sept. 20, [1886?] From: F. A. Allen (a.k.a. Mrs. Allen)
- Concerning the business transaction pertaining to the selling of a house. Mentions Mr. Fisher, Mr. Wills, Mr. Rowe.
- Sept. 22, 1886 From: Thomas and Barnard (Bloomington, Ill.)
- Notice of expiration of a fire insurance policy and asking permission to renew with a policy from The Hartford. Letterhead: Western Department, Fire Insurance Association of England.
- Sept. 25, 1886 From: H. E. Boardman (Monroe, Wisc.)
- Asking for a fair and immediate adjustment of deeds to lots sold to him
by the Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company. Mentions
F.G. Rowe has been involved in an attempt to sell the lots.
- Sept. 28, 1886 From: H.C. French (Red Oak, Iowa)
- Concerning the collection of notes due from Mr. Barker.
- Sept. 30, 1886 From: Olive G. Wilkerson (Gorham, Maine)
- Concerning the attempts to secure pension care so that payment of debts
to Mr. Hatch and Mr. Harmon can be made. Mentions Mr. Harmon.
- Oct. 3, 1886 From: F. A. Dickinson (Minneapolis, Kansas)
- Thanking Mr. Hatch for tax receipts and telling of marriage to Ella
W. Dietrick and other personal information. Mentions John G. Dietrick
- Oct. 4, 1886 From: H. E. Boardman (Monroe, Wisc.)
- Thanking Mr. Hatch for his prompt adjustment. Mentions Mr. Rowe.
- Oct. 11, 1886 From: N. L. Freeman (Springfield Ill.)
- Notice that Vol 109 of the Illinois Reprints had been sent as requested
from the Reporters Office, Supreme Court of Illinois.
- Oct. 12, 1886 From: The Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company
- (Rochester, N.Y.) Bill
- Oct. 16, 1886 From : Thomas and Barnard (Bloomington, Ill.)
- Notice of insurance premium.
- Oct. 17, 1886 From: Thomas Vincent (Sibley, Ill.)
- Written by Mrs. Vincent for her husband explaining his ill health and that payment will be made when pension funds are received.
- Oct. 18, 1886 From: N. L. Freeman (Springfield, Ill.)
- Advising of the cost of a publication and that he would not write another digest as suggested.
- Oct. 22, 1886 From: H.C. French (Red Oak, Iowa)
- Concerning the collection of notes due from Mr. Barker. Mentions Mr. Barker.
- Oct. 23, 1886 From: A.P. Tenney
- Concerning the sending of some packages. Mentions Emily.
- Oct. 23, 1886 From: True Woodbury (Monmouth, Maine)
- Description of a visit to Auburn and North Gloucester (Maine) including
his attendance at a fair; accounts of many mutual acquaintances of past
years, and a visit to the grave site of several members of Mr. Hatch's
family. Mentions Elisha Morgan, Harriet Benz Merrill, John Bradbury,
Mr. Fuller, Mrs. Scarch, Harriet Morgan, Osgood Haskill, Mr. Estes,
Jefferson Davis, Berry Merrill, John Jennifer,Daniel Collins, Otis
- Oct. 30, 1886 From: T.E. Vincent (Sibley, Ill.)
- Informing of enclosed check. Mentions T.E. Vincent.
- Oct. 31, 1886 From: W.D. Chapman (Hutchinson, [no state given]).
- Addressed to "Dear Uncle and all"; signed "Your Nephew." Personal note mentioning family members.
- Nov. 2, 1886 From: J.K. Harmon (Portland, Maine)
- Concerning the Wilkerson case, including Mr. Harmon's feelings on the
matter. Mentions Mrs. [Olive] Wilkerson, General McNulta.
- Nov. 6, 1886 From: William H. Briggs (Rochester, N.Y.)
- Reply concerning a publication of The Lawyers Co-operative Publishing
- Nov. 8, 1886 From: A. P. Tenney.
- Concerning some packages that have been sent.
- Nov. 8, 1886 From: E. O. Meyers
- Payment of Vincent note sent by sister of Mrs. Vincent. Mentions
- Nov. 9, 1886 From: J.M. Ball (Pueblo, Colo.)
- Asking that his mail be forwarded under the name of W.M. Barton if the
need should occur. Letter head James B. Smiley Publisher.
- Nov. 12, 1886 From: Van Antwerp, Bragg and Co., Publishers
- Informing that a copy of a book has been sent.
- [Nov.?], 1886 From: F. A. Allen (Brookside, [no state given])
- Informing of intent to buy land, and has just secured the name of the
- [Nov.?], 1886 From: F. A. Allen (Brookside)
- Additional information on attempts to buy land belonging to Mr. Wilson,
who it is mentioned prefers to remain "dark". Mentions Mr. Wilson.
- Nov. 18, 1886? From: F. A. Allen (Brookside)
- Requesting that Hatch send a small sum to secure power of purchase for
the land while inquiries about the title are made.
- Nov. 18, 1886 From: Roxanna Vincent (Sibley, Ill)
- Acknowledging receipt of note and asking for advice on drawing pension.
- Nov. 22, 1886 From: L. L. Hatch (Bloomington, Ill.)
- Sending a draft collected for back rent on a house. Mentions
I. W. Grant.
- Nov. 23, 1886 From: H. C. Hollister (Denver, Co.)
- Bill for a copy of testimony.
- Nov. 28, 1886 From: F. A. Allen (Brookside)
- Asking through whom interest on Vansickler's mortgage is to be paid.
- Nov. 30, 1886 From: A. H. Partridge (Denver, Co.)
- Thanking for information on "Antlers" bonds, also mentions C.S.,
- Mf 0122, envelope 2
- Dec. 1, 1886 From: H. C. French
- Reply to request for power of attorney.
- Dec. 9, 1886 From: J. M. Stickslager (?) (Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Interior.
- Informs Hatch that certain cases will not be ready for examination in
less than 10 months. Mentions William P. Wilson.
- Dec. 10, 1886 From: J. M. Ball (Chicago, Ill.)
- Asking that a disposition in the Wood case has been made and if an
envelope was received.
- Dec. 11, 1886 From: Roxana Vincent (Sibley, Ill.)
- Advising that she has employed Judge Cloud to handle her pension claim.
Mentions Judge Cloud.
- Dec. 14, 1886 From: W. M. Hatch to Hon. W. Bazard
- Inquires about forwarding of land patent. Reply in red ink in same
- Dec. 14, 1886 From: F. W. Christern.
- Acknowledging an order.
- Dec. 15, 1886 From: A.J. Best (Denver, Colo.)
- Acknowledging bad judgments in trying to protect bad notes and
expressing the desire to spend no more.
- Dec. 16, 1886 From: F.A. Allen.
- Advising of further arrangements to be made in securing land from
- Dec. 16, 1886 From: F. A. Allen
- Addressed to another party and advising that Mr. Hatch will be attending
to the business of securing the land.
- Dec. 17, 1886 From: J. M. Ball
- Mentions an overcharge on some envelopes.
- Dec. 18, 1886 From: William H. Briggs
- Notice of shipment of order.
- Dec. 19, 1886 From: W. C. Bradbury
- Concerning payment of a claim by Roessen (?) for work performed.
- Dec. 21, 1886 From: A.B. Whitmore (Eastonville, Co.)
- Asking for names of creeks in North Cheyenne Canyon. Mentions
E. P. Tenney.
- Dec. 22, 1886 From: A.H. Partridge (Denver, Co.)
- Asking about the possibilities of selling some land holdings in Colorado
- Dec. 27, 1886 From: A.H. Partridge (Denver, Co.)
- Reply to a request for a memorandum mentions that a regular Bond book if
it existed was in S 's or Tenney's hands.
- Dec. 27, 1886 From: C. F. Cadwallader
- Asking for information about Hiram Raker. Mentions Judge B. Wall.
- Legal Documents
- February 15, 1883. Printed document.
- An agreement between the Colorado Springs Investment and Improvement Company and Hanson A. Risley, Trustee.
- July 26, 1888. Handwritten document signed W.M. Hatch and O.L. Daniels.
- Concerns the breeding of horses.