|Colorado College was established as a coeducational
college in 1874, two years before Colorado became a state. In 1871,
General William Jackson Palmer, founder of the Denver and Rio Grande
Railroad, laid out the city of Colorado Springs, setting aside land
for a college. Colorado College opened May 6, 1874, in a downtown
building. In 1880, Cutler Hall (then called Palmer Hall or simply
"the College") was first occupied. A graduating class
at that time was about 16 students.
Today the campus covers 90 acres and has more than 40 buildings.
The student body numbers about 1,900, and students come from all
over the U.S. and the world.
For information on Arthur House, Bemis Hall, Cossitt Hall, Cutler
Hall, Haskell House, Jackson House, Lennox House, McGregor Hall,
Montgomery Hall, Palmer Hall, Shove Memorial Chapal, Spencer Center,
and Ticknor Hall, see the college's extensive virtual tour (link
at left). For other buildings, see these links: Armstrong
Hall, Barnes Science Center,
Boettcher Health Center, Coburn
Flagpole, El Pomar Sports Center,
Loomis Hall, Olin
Hall of Science, Packard Hall
of Music and Art , Slocum Hall,
Tutt Library, Washburn
Field, Worner Center.
Also see the online campus tour
for a view of Colorado College today.
For basic historical information about campus buildings, see this page.