- LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe
- Coverage: 1977 - current
- Access to popular press material such as newspaper articles. Also contains law review articles.
- Newspaper Source
- Coverage: 1985-current
- Full text for more than 40 major U.S. and international newspapers; also contains selective full text for more than 330 regional U.S. newspapers and full text transcripts from television and radio news.
News and Newspapers Online
A free service provided by the University of North Carolina. Provides links to hundreds of online news sources organized by state (e.g. Colorado), by nation, and by continents. Allows users to create personalized lists of resources for future use.
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Coverage: 1800's
- Provides access to approximately 1.7 million pages of primary source newspaper content from the 19th century, featuring full-text content and images from numerous newspapers from a range of urban and rural regions throughout the U.S.
From the Library of Congress. Search and view newspaper pages from 1880-1910 and find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress as part of the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
ICON: International Coalition on Newspapers
Highlights and links to past, present, and prospective digitization projects of historic newspapers from around the world and in the U.S. (Most are free, some cost).
Specific National Newspapers
Atlanta Constitution (Historical)
- Coverage: 1868 – 1929. “The Atlanta Constitution, historically known as ‘the voice of the new south.’ Contains first hand accounts of the Reconstruction period and post-war South” to early twentieth century. Full image and full text newspaper articles. (LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe provides text coverage from 1991-present.)
Chicago Tribune (Historical)
- Coverage: 1849 – 1985. The Chicago Tribune is one of the nation’s oldest continuously published newspapers. Source for prohibition debates, mercantile development of the midwest, westward expansion, Settlement House Movement – Jane Addams, Al Capone. Full image and full text newspaper articles. (LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe provides current text coverage from March 1, 2002-present.)
Los Angeles Times
- Current (most recent six months): LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe
- Historical (1881 – 1985): Historical Newspapers (Proquest)
- Website (current articles available for limited time; CC faculty, students, and staff should use options above for older articles (don’t pay for access on latimes.com!): http://www.latimes.com/
New York Times
- Current (1980 – ): LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe
- Historical (1851 – three years ago): <Historical Newspapers (Proquest)
- Website (current articles available for limited time; CC faculty, students, and staff should use the options above for older articles (don’t pay for access on nytimes.com!); free registration required.): http://www.nytimes.com/
In Tutt Library (1852 – )
- Current issues kept until replaced by microfilm. See TIGER catalog record for details.
- Paper index (1851 – ) is located behind the newspapers on the second floor.
Wall Street Journal
In Tutt Library (1981 – )
- Current issues of the Western Edition are kept in paper until replaced by microfiche of the Eastern Edition. See the TIGER catalog record for details.
- Paper index (1981 – ) is located behind the newspapers on the second floor.