Style and Writing Guides
American Psychological Association
The Chicago Manual Of Style Online
Modern Language Association Handbook : from the Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Modern Language Association Handbook : from the University of Wisconsin Writing Center
Citing Online Sources
Purdue OWL Citation Chart
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/media/pdf/20110928111055_949.pdf (similar to the old side-by-side comparison)
Citing Government Publications
with MLA from the University of Nevada; DocsCite is an interactive form for generating citations for APA and MLA from Arizona State University; Brief Guide description of how to from the University of Memphis.
Create your own database to store citations to books, articles, etc. from TIGER, Prospector, and library databases. Use these citations to automatically create footnotes and bibliographies in the proper format. Requires registration. See Refworks Tutorial and RefWorks Help and the CC RefWorks FAQ.
A free program for creating quick bibliographies. (Thesis students are advised to use RefWorks.)
What style guide should I use?
Always use the style guide specified by your professor. If a style is not specified, the following are guidelines for choosing an appropriate system for documenting your sources. Ask a librarian if you need help.
- Anthropology: American Anthropological Association’s Style Guide
- Biology (Also natural sciences) : Council of Biology Editors Style Manual
- Chemistry : American Chemical Society (ACS) Style Guide
- Economics: Turabian (a simplified Chicago style)
- English: MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
- History: Chicago Manual of Style
- Philosophy: MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
- Psychology: Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
- Religion: MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
- Sociology: American Sociological Association Style Guide
Writing a thesis?
Please review the Tutt Library Thesis Binding Policy before you print your final version. It will save you time in the long run. Also be sure to get research assistance from a liaison librarian who is a specialist in your subject area.
The Writing Center
The Writing Center offers an arena where students can work through the writing process and improve the expression of their ideas by participating in individualized conferences with trained peer consultants and professional staff. For hours, and to make an appointment visit the Writing Center home page.