Race and Ethnic Studies Subject Guide
Interim Interdisciplinary Programs Liaison Librarian
Searching TIGER by keyword or subject is often the fastest way to find books about your topic.
For books that we don’t own here at Colorado College, or books that are checked out or otherwise unavailable, use Prospector - Colorado Unified Catalog . You’ll find books (and CDs, DVDs, etc.) in libraries across Colorado that you can request and have sent to the Tutt Library circulation desk where you can check them out.
For books not available in TIGER or Prospector, you can request through Interlibrary Loan via WorldCat .
Please ask a librarian if you need help with TIGER, Prospector, or WorldCat.
Databases for Race and Ethnic Studies
- Accessible Archives
- Coverage: 1728 - 1900
- Access to archival fulltext newspapers including the Pennsylvania Gazette, African American and Civil War Newspapers, and Godey's Lady's Book.
- Africa Knowledge Project
- Coverage: N/A
- Journals and databases from the Africa Resource Center focusing on Africa and the African Diaspora. Content includes JENdA: A Journal of Culture and African Women Studies, Journal on African Philosophy, and the African Music Database.
- Alternative Press Index
- Coverage: 1969 - current
- Alternative Press Index is a classic bibliographic database of articles from hundreds of international alternative, radical, and left periodicals. API is now part of EBSCOHOST in two databases: Alternative Press Archives, 1969-1990; and Alternative Press Index, 1991-current. The link above will search both simultaneously; API is cross-searchable with other EBSCOHOST databases.
- America, History & Life
- Coverage: 1863 - current
- Covers American history.
- American Memory
- Coverage: historical
- Digitized collections from the Library of Congress. Oral histories, letters, photographs, documents. Search by keyword.
- Asian American Drama
- Coverage: 1891 - current
- 250+ plays (some never before published) by 40+ authors together with detailed, indexed information on related productions, theaters, production companies, and more. Cross-searchable under North American Theater Online.
- Black Drama, 1850 To Present
- Coverage: 1846 - current
- Contains the full text of over 1,400 rare and hard-to-find plays written from the 1850's to the present by playwrights from North America, English-speaking Africa, the Caribbean, and other African Diaspora countries. Search by author, title, subject, date, full-text, etc. Cross-searchable under North American Theater Online.
- Black Thought And Culture
- Coverage: 1700 - 2006
- Black Thought and Culture contains 1,200+ sources covering the non-fiction published works of leading African Americans. Includes non-fiction works, interviews, journal articles, speeches, essays, pamphlets, letters and other fugitive material. Also includes the Black Panther newspaper from 1967-1980. Allows for advanced browsing and searching by author, race, gender, year, subject, nationality, etc. Some materials are cross-searchable under Social and Cultural History.
- Chicano Database
- Coverage: 1960s - current
- Interdisciplinary database, indexing all types of materials for Chicano studies (journal articles, books, chapters, and newspaper articles).
- Early American Imprints. Series I, Evans (1639-1800)
- Coverage: 1639 - 1800
- Full text of almost every book and pamphlet printed in North America from 1639 to 1800. Not yet complete.
- Early American Imprints. Series II, Shaw-Shoemaker (1801-1819)
- Coverage: 1801 - 1819
- Full text of almost every book and pamphlet printed in North America from 1801 to 1819. Not yet complete.
- Early Encounters In North America
- Coverage: 1474 - 1800's
- Full text works by 1,400+ authors in the form of letters, diaries, memoirs and accounts of early encounters between American Indians, Europeans, Americans, and Africans in all areas of North America. Offers advanced searching and browsing of people, events, flora, fauna and more.
- Federal Surveillance Of African Americans, 1920-1984
- Coverage: 1920-1984
- Collection of documents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation Library. The collection includes COINTELPROs file on Black Nationalist groups from 1956-1971; also contains FBI files on notable figures such as Malcom X, Paul Robeson, Jesse Jackson and W. E. Dubois, as well as groups such as the Black Panthers and NAACP. The investigations are illustrative of conservative and government concerns over communism, socialism, civil rights, and other issues of this era. Part of Archives Unbound.
- Hispanic American Newspapers, 1808-1980
- Coverage: 1808-1980
- Spanish and bilingual Spanish/English newspapers published in the United States from the 19th to 20th centuries. Great source of historical information and culture; also a source of reporting on events in Spanish-speaking countries that were not necessarily covered in English-language newspapers. Part of America's Historical Newspapers.
- Jewish Studies Source
- Coverage: 1922 - current
- Description: Periodicals, monographs and biographies contributing to the multidisciplinary view of Jewish civilization, covering all facets of Judaism. Also contains the complete full text of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
- Latino Literature
- Coverage: 1872 - current
- 100,000+ pages of poetry, fiction, and over 450 plays written in English and Spanish by hundreds of Chicano, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and other Latino authors working in the United States. Some works have never been published before. Also includes 130,000+ pages of Chicago folk tales and audio files of selected poems and plays. Some materials are cross-searchable under North American Theater Online.
- North American Immigrant Letters, Diaries, And Oral Histories
- Coverage: 1784 - 2004
- 100,00 pages of letters, diaries, oral histories, interviews and other personal narratives by 2,000+ authors. Some audio recordings are available. Material is organized for advanced browsing and searching. Some materials are cross-searchable under Social and Cultural History.
Online journal archives
Unlike the subject-specific article databases, these online journal archives don’t concentrate on any one academic subject. Instead, they take leading journals from many fields, or all the journals from one publisher, and provide extensive archives of the full text of those journals online, usually in the form of PDF files.
- Coverage: varies; usually late 1990's to current
- Searchable collection of full text periodicals. Scholarly sources.
- Coverage: late 1800's - most recent 0-5 years
- Archival access to many scholarly periodicals. Some titles include current issues while others have a moving wall imposed on them.
- Oxford University Press Journals
- Coverage: varies; usually late 1990's - current
- A searchable collection of full text periodicals. Scholarly sources.
Periodicals Archive Online
- Coverage: 1665-2000
- Online periodical archive containing the digitized backfiles of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences.
- Project Muse
- Coverage: varies
- Project Muse Standard Collection of core scholarly titles from John Hopkins University. Offers current and back issues. Please note: we do not subscribe to the Premium Collection. We have access to most, but not all, Project Muse titles.