Anthropology Subject Guide
Anthropology is the scientific study of humans, their origins, and their physical, behavioral, social and cultural development. Consulting a dicationary or encyclopedia might help clarifying your topic before beginning your search. There are a number of general dictionaries and encyclopedias related to Anthropology. One in particular is the Encyclopedia of Anthropology, 1st Floor North-Ref GN11 .E63 2006.
Searching TIGER by keyword or subject is often the fastest way to find books about your topic.
For books that we don’t own here at Colorado College, or books that are checked out or otherwise unavailable, use Prospector - Colorado Unified Catalog . You’ll find books (and CDs, DVDs, etc.) in libraries across Colorado that you can request and have sent to the Tutt Library circulation desk where you can check them out.
For books not available in TIGER or Prospector, you can request through Interlibrary Loan via WorldCat .
Please ask a librarian if you need help with TIGER, Prospector, or WorldCat.
Books about Anthropology generally are assigned call numbers that begin with:
- GN — Anthropology, Ethnology, Physical Anthropology, Prehistoric Archaeology
- GR — Folklore
- GT — Manners and Customs
- CC —Archaeology
There are a number of databases to consult for articles on Anthropology and related topics. For scholarly articles, you may want to start with AnthroSource which connects directly to fulltext articles; for additional articles try Anthropological Literature or JSTOR .
Complete list of databases for Anthropology
- Academic Search Complete
- Coverage: 1865 - current
- Large database with extensive full text access to journals, in addition to abstracts and indexing. Subject coverage is general and broad.
- America, History & Life
- Coverage: 1863 - current
- Covers American history.
- Annual Reviews
- Coverage: 1990's - current
- Online access to 20 Annual Reviews series covering biomedical sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences. Please note: we subscribe to a subset of the Annual Reviews, and may not have access to the earliest volume for each title.
- Anthropological Index Online
- Coverage: 1970 - current
- An index to Anthropology journals held by the Museum of Mankind Library.
- Anthropological Literature
- Coverage: Late 19th century - current
- Indexes articles from approximately 900 journals in the fields of anthropology and archaeology.
- Coverage: 1888 -
- AnthroSource is an online resource for core journals in the field of anthropology, developed by the American Anthropological Association (AAA). One may access complete archives of all AAA journals and current issues of 11 of the AAA's most popular journals, including American Anthropologist, Cultural Anthropology and American Ethnologist.
- EHRAF Collection Of Ethnography
- Coverage: varies
- HRAF Collection of Ethnography. The cultural database includes full text of books, chapters, journal articles. Useful for Anthropology, Sociology, Religion, and Women Studies.
- The Encyclopaedia Of Islam
- Coverage: historical
- Offers basic searching of the full-text of nearly 12,000 pages of volumes I to XI and Supplement (Volume XII) of the print edition.
- General Science Abstracts
- Coverage: 1984 - current
- Covers such subjects as anthropology, astronomy, biology, computers, earth sciences, mathematics, medicine and health, and much more.
- Handbook Of Latin American Studies
- Coverage: 1935 - current
- Annotated bibliography of scholarly works on Latin American studies. Online version of the print title, volume 1 - present. Multidisciplinary topics. Covers humanities and social sciences.
- Historical Abstracts
- Coverage: 1967 - current
- Covers world history.
- Humanities International Complete
- Coverage: 1929 - current
- A comprehensive humanities database, with almost 500 full text titles and indexing and abstracting for more than 1,700 titles. Subject areas include (but are not limited to) literature, philosophy, the arts, history, culture-oriented and multi-disciplinary humanities titles with some coverage going back as far as 1929. This database replaces Humanities Abstracts.
- Index Islamicus
- Coverage: 1906 - current
- Indexes books, journal articles, conference proceedings about Islam, the Middle East and the Muslim world. Includes the other main Muslim areas of Asia and Africa, plus Muslim minorities elsewhere.
- Coverage: late 1800's - most recent 0-5 years
- Archival access to many scholarly periodicals. Some titles include current issues while others have a moving wall imposed on them.
- Coverage: 1950 - current
- Journals published internationally, covering all areas of medicine.
- MLA International Bibliography
- Coverage: 1963 - current
- Literature, languages, linguistics, and folklore from over journals and series published worldwide.
- Nineteenth Century Masterfile
- Coverage: 1200's-1930
- Collection of dozens of indexes to English-language publishing prior to 1930. Indexing coverage includes Poole's Index to Periodical Literature, 1802-1906. Index to Nineteenth century historical periodicals. Government Documents Indices include indexes to: U.S. patents, 1790-1873; U.S. government publications, 1774-1881; British House of Commons and House of Lords, 1803-1830. Indexing also books, newspapers and periodicals. Links to full text in other databases, HathiTrust and Google Books.
- Coverage: varies
- Full-text articles online from Elsevier and Academic Press journals. Summary information about articles from all other Elsevier titles and some other publishers. Coverage includes all science areas and many social sciences and humanities areas.
- Social Sciences Abstracts
- Coverage: 1983 - current
- International, English-language periodicals in sociology, anthropology, geography, economics, political science, and law. Broader coverage than SocIndex.
- Coverage: 1895 - current
- Indexes core sociology journals dating back to 1895. More focused on sociology as a discipline than Sociological Abstracts.
- Web Of Knowledge
- Coverage: 1900 - current
- Citation-based searching in all disciplines. Includes Science Citation Index (1900-present), Social Sciences Citation Index (1900-present), and Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975-present). Web of Knowledge differs from Web of Science by including other databases such as Medline.
- Web Of Science
- Coverage: 1900 - current
- Citation-based searching in all disciplines. Includes Science Citation Index (1900-present), Social Sciences Citation Index (1900-present), and Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975-present). Web of Science differs from Web of Knowledge by focusing on these three indexes.