Sociology Subject Guide
Please see the new Sociology Guide
When beginning your research, you may want to gather some background information from reference sources. Some good sources for Sociology are:
- Encyclopedia of Sociology covers broad topics related to Sociology.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library searches other reference sources on social issues and topics related to Sociology.
Searching TIGER by keyword or subject is often the fastest way to find books about your topic.
For books that we don’t own here at Colorado College, or books that are checked out or otherwise unavailable, use Prospector - Colorado Unified Catalog . You’ll find books (and CDs, DVDs, etc.) in libraries across Colorado that you can request and have sent to the Tutt Library circulation desk where you can check them out.
For books not available in TIGER or Prospector, you can request through Interlibrary Loan via WorldCat .
Please ask a librarian if you need help with TIGER, Prospector, or WorldCat.
Circulating books for Sociology are located on the 3rd floor of Tutt Library. Reference materials are located on the 1st floor beyond near the Circulation Desk. Here is a broad overview of some of the call numbers for Sociology related topics:
- E 184 – E 185: American ethnic groups.
- HA: Social science statistics.
- HB: Economic Theory. Demography.
- HM: Sociology (general and theoretical). Social psychology.
- HN: Social history. Social problems. Social reform.
- HQ: The family. Marriage. Women. Feminism.
- HT: Communities. Classes. Races. Slavery.
- HV: Social and public welfare. Substance abuse. Criminology.
- HX: Socialism. Communism. Anarchism.
- K: Legal issues
We now have e-books in Sociology and related disciplines. Go to Advanced Search in TIGER, Limit by Location: WWW – ebooks, then type in your keywords.
SocINDEX is the best source for finding scholarly journal articles on Sociology topics at CC. Included in the list of databases below are links to other related databases and statistical sources.
Complete list of databases for Sociology
- Academic Search Complete
- Coverage: 1865 - current
- Large database with extensive full text access to journals, in addition to abstracts and indexing. Subject coverage is general and broad.
- Colorado Economic And Demographic Information System
- Coverage: varies, 1980's - current
- CEDIS (Colorado Economic and Demographic Information System) provides detailed local and state level economic and demographic information.
- The Gallup Brain
- Coverage: 1935 - current
- A searchable, living record of more than 60 years of public opinon. Find answers to more than 125,000 questions and responses from more than 3.5 million people interviewed by The Gallup Poll since 1935.
- Gender Studies Database
- Coverage: pre-1972 - current
- Combines the Women's Studies International and Men's Studies databases with sexual diversity issues and gender-engaged scholarship. Source documents include professional journals, conference papers, books, book chapters, government reports, discussion and working papers, theses & dissertations, and freely available full text articles & documents on the Web.
- Historical Statistics Of The United States
- Coverage: 1600s - current
- Annual time series of the U.S. population, economic indicators, social conditions, and government. From colonial times to the present.
- Inter-University Consortium For Political And Social Research
- Coverage: N/A
- Provides large data sets such as public opinion polls, attitude surveys, health information, results of research projects. Data may require use of specialized software such as SPSS or SAS.
- Coverage: late 1800's - most recent 0-5 years
- Archival access to many scholarly periodicals. Some titles include current issues while others have a moving wall imposed on them.
- LEXIS-NEXIS Academic Universe
- Coverage: 1977 - current
- Access to popular press material such as newspaper articles. Also contains law review articles.
- Social Sciences Abstracts
- Coverage: 1983 - current
- International, English-language periodicals in sociology, anthropology, geography, economics, political science, and law. Broader coverage than SocIndex.
- Coverage: 1895 - current
- Indexes core sociology journals dating back to 1895. More focused on sociology as a discipline than Sociological Abstracts.
- Statistical Universe
- Coverage: N/A
- Access to US statistical information.
- UN Statistics Division Common Database
- Coverage: 1958 - current
- Statistical compilation for the United Nations. Contains selected data series from 30 specialized international sources, including labor, agricultural, nutritional and industrial statistics. Years of coverage vary with data series/countries selected.
- World Databank
- Coverage: 1960-current
- Free databases of economic indicators from the World Bank, including World Development Indicators (WDI), Gender Statistics, Education Statistics, Health Nutrition and Population Statistics, Quarterly External Debt Statistics/SDDS and /GDDS, Africa Development Indicators, Global Economic Monitor (GEM), and Millennium Development Goals. The World databank interface can export statistics to Excel, and generate customizable maps and charts. Note: if problems are encountered with this website, please exit your browser completely and restart it; or try using a different browser.