Packard Hall Music Classroom Use Policy
Reserving Packard Performance Hall
Packard Hall Music Department Classroom Use Policy
1. Classroom keys are issued to faculty, studio instructors, and ensemble directors only. No key will be issued or loaned to any student, nor should a faculty member entrust a key to any student at any time.
2. Any student music group or ensemble must be officially sponsored by a music faculty member to obtain permission to use the classrooms. The same goes for individual students. A list of sponsored ensembles and eligible students is available at the music library and the music office.
3. A faculty member who wishes to sponsor a group ensemble or individual student should do so formally in consultation and coordination with the Associate Chair of the music department.
4. The library staff or campus safety (ext. 6707) will enable classroom access only to students whose names appear on the official list.
5. No amplified instruments may be played anywhere in Packard Hall. Exception will be granted to a musician under the direct supervision of a music department faculty member and/or studio instructor.
6. For further information or inquiry, please contact the Associate Chair of the music department: Professor Ofer Ben-Amots, 389-6555, Packard 107.
Packard Hall Music Classroom Use-General Information
This information concerns the supplementary use of music classrooms 8, 9, 17, 19 (Percussion Room) and 20.
Music classrooms are used primarily for instruction and secondarily for ensembles (whether managed by music faculty or students) and individual practice. Secondary use is a privilege, dependent upon adherence to specific requirements. Due to the multi-purpose usage of these rooms, the following regulations are in place:
- Music courses take precedence over all other uses. A schedule of room use, updated weekly, is posted on the door of each room.
- Access to classrooms is controlled by the Music Library. Use is generally limited to students enrolled in private lessons who have practice room keys or department approval. These students may use a classroom— if all practice rooms are in use and/or they are a piano student requiring a classroom piano. Those users who fall outside of this group may contact the Associate Chair of the Music Department.
- Room 19, the Percussion Room, is only available to private percussion students, or those students participating in the Chamber Orchestra, Concert Band, or Tiger Jazz ensembles. A list of authorized students is kept in the Music Library. Library staff have a key and will open the door for qualified students.
- Due to volume control issues, ensembles that typically produce loud volume (such as rock/pop ensembles) cannot be accommodated.
- Individual/ensemble use is subject to the following regulations:
- Classroom use is limited to musical practice and rehearsals.
- Users must signup for classroom use in the Music Library
- Users must restore the initial furniture/pianos set-up when leaving the room. A photo of each setup is found in the classroom, next to the door. FAILURE TO DO THIS MAY RESULT IN IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION OF CLASSROOM PRIVILEGES!
- Drinks (no alcohol!) in covered containers may be used in classrooms. No food is allowed.
- Classrooms are to remain locked. Foot stops are provided for short absences.
- Users’ sessions in classroom are not transferable—all users must initiate classroom use in the Music Library. Individuals may not allow other users into the room they are using. A change in occupancy must be approved and noted in the Music Library.
- User may remain in the room (without transferring usage) until Packard Hall closes.
VIOLATION OF ANY OF THESE PRIVILEGES MAY RESULT IN SUSPENSION OF USE.
PLEASE NOTE!!! ROOMS 15, 16, and 18 ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR PRACTICING!!
Instructions for Reserving Packard Performance Hall
The performance hall can be reserved for performances provided that:
- The hall is reserved with the Music Department Office Supervisor
- A facilities request form is completed and delivered first to the Supervisor for signature and then to the Worner Desk for reservation.
- A music department addendum to the facilities form, defining who will provide hall management services during the performance, is completed. Outside groups must contact either the College’s Audio/Visual Department or the Music Department’s Paraprofessional to provide lighting and access to the green room and the stage. Those scheduling the event must pay these service providers. The hall manager is not responsible for preventing over-crowding. Visiting groups must procure ushers for crowd management; one usher is required for each floor.
- All groups strictly comply with Colorado Springs fire marshal regulations regarding hall occupancy. Packard Performance Hall accommodates 299 people. The group booking the hall is responsible for assuring that no more than that number is admitted. In addition, the group must assure that:
- No one is sitting in the aisles
- No one is standing in the back (upstairs or downstairs) blocking the exits