share comments or questions with the Office
The Tutt Alumni House was built as a private residence in 1898 by a Colorado Springs contractor. Charles Tutt purchased it in 1904 and lived with his family until 1959, after which the house was donated to Colorado College. For many years, it was rented as a private residence in compliance with local zoning regulations. After numerous attempts, the college was successful in receiving a "conditional use variance" in 1985.
The main floor is used primarily for meetings, receptions, meals and general entertaining. Many of the furnishings are donated or on loan. The seven bedrooms of the second floor have been transformed into staff offices. The third floor was originally the servants' quarters. The basement houses a vault with seven-foot security doors that hides a wine cellar. Legend has it that much of the Broadmoor Hotel's wine collection spent the prohibition years in this wine cellar. Tutt family members were partners with Spencer Penrose, who founded the Broadmoor. Three college facilities honor the Tutt family, including Tutt Library and Tutt Science Center along with the alumni house. See more about CC's alumni program.