Page Settings

  • Show menu: true
  • Use horizontal menu: true
  • Show sidebar: no
  • Skip to main content

    How To Apply

    Applying for Semester or Year-Long Programs Off-Campus

    CC Internal Application Deadlines in Summit:

    -- For the Fall Semester off-campus: Complete CC Internal Application for Off-Campus Study in Summit by March 1
    Early application is strongly encouraged, late applications are not allowed. Confirm or cancel your leave by May 1.

    -- For the Spring Semester off-campus: Complete CC Internal Application for Off-Campus Study in Summit by the extended Spring 2021 deadline of October 15.
    Early application is strongly encouraged, late applications are not allowed. Confirm or cancel your leave by December 1.

    Semester and year-long off-campus study is generally open to sophomores, juniors, and fall-semester seniors. In addition to meeting the application requirements of the program you are applying to, you must also be in good academic and disciplinary standing at CC, and obtain your academic advisor’s approval to study off-campus through the CC Internal Application process in Summit. Students who are currently on academic or judicial probation may not be eligible to study off-campus.

    Studying off-campus always requires an application completed in Summit. You can access the Center for Global Education's Summit portal via the CC Single Sign-In, using your CC login. Additionally, if you are applying for a third-party program, they will require a separate application as well (which you submit directly to the program). 

    Once you've identified the program that best meets your academic goals for off-campus study, and have met with your academic advisor, you are ready to start the application process. Most students get in to their first choice program, and so you only apply to one program in Summit. Our deadlines are early, as many programs have rolling admission. You should NOT wait until your program's deadline to apply!


    • CC Faculty-Led Semesters (such as the CC TREE Semester, CC France Semester, CC Mediterranean Semester, CC Lüneburg Semester, or the CC Latin American Semester): You apply on Summit; look for the specific application for the program you are applying for. You should also have talked with the faculty director of the program before you begin the application, to let them know of your interest and to learn any special application pre-reqs that may exist. Deadlines for CC Faculty-Led Semesters Off-Campus vary by program; see Summit for details or ask the faculty member.
    • CC-Approved (Third Party, non-CC-led) ProgramsAll students participating in one of these programs will complete two applications--the CC Internal Application for Off-Campus Study on Summit, as well as the program-specific application for the program you are applying for (found on the program's website). 

    In general, students complete the CC Internal Application at the beginning of the semester prior to the one that you wish to be studying off-campus. See deadlines box above. You should start working on the actual program application as soon as possible when the Summit application opens up, regardless of when the program lists their application deadlines. You must submit final confirmation to CC of your plans for the next semester by December 1 for Spring 2021 semester off-campus, or by May 1 for Fall semester off-campus. That means you need to be accepted by your program by that point and have submitted your deposit. Do not wait to apply for your program, even if their application deadline is much later than the internal CC deadlines!

    If you need to order a transcript to send to the program you are applying for, you need to request that and complete the release form through the Registrar's Office.

    Any approval forms (sometimes called Home School Nomination, Advisor Approval, etc) that your program requires that CC submit on your behalf can only be completed after you successfully complete the CC Internal Application and are approved for off-campus study via Summit, so that is your first step.

    Petitioning for non-approved semester programs:

    When choosing on off-campus semester program, students should to select from this list of options that have been approved by the CC International Studies Committee and are regularly reviewed. These programs support the Colorado College curriculum and meet the standards of a high-quality liberal arts education. If, for valid academic reasons, you are considering a program that is not currently on our CC list, you must petition in advance for approval through the International Studies Committee. A successful petition must demonstrate a valid academic need not met through any existing approved program option; this is usually grounded in a major or minor, so talking to your academic advisor or department early on in the process of considering a petition is strongly encouraged. 

    Please meet with Heather Powell Browne, our Assistant Director of Global Education, well in advance of deadlines to learn more about this process and the criteria for approval, if you think you have a valid academic need to petition. Be aware that the petition process requires more time to complete than applying for an approved program, and has earlier deadlines, because it must be reviewed by the International Studies Committee (ISC). Students who do not petition in advance for non-approved off-campus study programs will not be able to transfer credit into the college.

    Petitioning for non-CC summer programs abroad:

    If you are interested in studying abroad in the summer, please first look at the listing of CC summer classes being taught abroad. You can use your Wildcard for the tuition portion of the cost, and need-based financial aid is available for our summer programs only. 

    If you wish to petition for a non-CC summer program abroad, you may do so in Summit using the Summer Petition application. You must demonstrate an academic need not met / similar coursework not offered through one of the existing CC summer programs being led that same summer. There is no CC financial aid available in the summer for non-CC programs; external scholarships like Gilman are available to apply for. Contact Heather Powell Browne with questions.