Page Settings

  • Show menu: true
  • Use horizontal menu: true
  • Show sidebar: no
  • Skip to main content

    Departmental Policies

    Each academic department or program at CC may have unique processes and allowances when it comes to transferring credit from courses taken off-campus into their major or minor. Below is a listing that may be helpful of collected policies; please check with the department or program directly if you have questions.

    This list is a work in progress; if your department does not have information listed here, check directly with them.  


    The Anthropology Department allows majors to earn up to two (2) credits, and minors one (1), from off-campus study programs to count towards the degree. We accept a broad array of (C), or Cognate, courses for a single credit, assuming the coursework undertaken while off-campus includes at least one course with an anthropological/cultural/societal dimension to it. A second course towards the major requires the proposed be a  course be focused on disciplinary anthropology’s thought and content (A). Courses taken off-campus are taught at the 300-level or above will transfer back to the department only at the 200-level to prevent off-campus study from replacing advanced study on campus. Students should submit course approval requests via Summit, which can be accessed at any time before or during your off-campus study. Please upload complete information about the course; you should also save syllabi and papers from your courses overseas, in case there are any additional questions when you get back to campus.

    *A—Anthropology Course. Serves for a 1st or 2nd course unit one of 12 major / 5 minor course units at the 200-level; does not fulfill subfield distribution.

    *C—Cognate course. Serves for 1st but not a second 2nd off-campus credit, 208 topics, fulfills cultural subfield distribution.


    Art & Art History

    Students who wish to receive Art Department major credit for non-CC courses taken abroad or off-campus must obtain approval in advance from the Art Department. Course approval requests should be submitted via Summit.

    Non-CC courses taken off-campus cannot be counted towards an Art or Art History minor.


    Asian Studies

    Check with the department.


    Chemistry & Biochemistry

    The department of Chemistry/Biochemistry does not have a policy regarding the pre-approval of chemistry/biochem courses taken abroad. Students interested in taking courses abroad towards departmental requirements are encouraged to have these courses pre-approved by the chair of the department. Detailed information about the potential course (syllabus and lab components) is very helpful to provide; students can often obtain this information online from the program provider or the university abroad.



    Check with the department.


    Comparative Literature (includes Arabic)

    Check with the department.


    East Asian Languages

    Check with the department.


    Economics & Business

    View the Economics Department's informational page on study abroad policies and recommendations.



    Please see this handout for information about all the pre-approved and suggested options for Education majors and minors.



    Students interested in obtaining preapproval for coursework from off-campus study to count towards the major or minor can submit requests through the online Summit course approval system to the department chair, and should meet with their academic advisor in the department to discuss sequencing and how the time off-campus fits into their overall English degree plan.


    Environmental Program

    The Environmental Program does not currently approve courses for major credit through the Summit system. These courses should be discussed with the major advisor or Program Director before going abroad for advice; petitions for major credit from declared majors need to occur after returning from abroad. Please contact Environmental Program Director Miro Kummel ( with questions or for further information.


    Feminist & Gender Studies

    The Feminist and Gender Studies Program allows majors to earn up to two (2) credits, and minors one (1) credit, from off-campus study programs to count towards the degree, typically in the form of one of the electives.

    You may submit course approval requests through Summit to initiate the review process with the program, but the second and required step for any course taken on an off-campus study program to count towards your FGS major or minor is a written rationale, submitted via e-mail to your academic advisor and the program director in the FGS program. This 150 to 200-word rationale should explain how you are proposing to count this specific course towards your FGS major or minor. 

    Summit is the first step, but this rationale is the second important step that must be completed and approved for any approvals in Summit to count to your specific degree progress. Check with your FGS advisor or the Office of International Programs if you have any questions about these two steps.


    Film and Media Studies

    The department is working on finalizing a policy for course approval requests for courses taken off-campus. In the meantime, please see this list of some programs you might consider for Film & Media courses.


    French & Italian

    Check with the department for Italian policies.  

    French Department

    MAJOR: Students who study off-campus on programs other than Colorado College-led semesters or blocks must take at least two courses beyond 306, in addition to 431 and 432, at Colorado College, as well as completing the detailed major requirements described above, to receive a French degree from the college. Only 2 credits from any non-CC-led program off-campus will accepted into the major (including CC-approved programs, and CC-approved petitions). All courses must be pre-approved in advance via Summit by the department chair.
    MINOR: The same policy as for majors applies, above, but only 1 credit from a non-CC program can go towards the minor. All courses must be pre-approved in advance via Summit by the department chair.



    Check with the department.


    Global Health

    Listing of potential programs to explore; check with department advisors for information about transferrability. 


    German, Russian, and East Asian Languages

    Check with the department.



    The History Department will generally allow students to transfer one history course per semester from off-campus study to count towards the major or the minor. Students should consult with the department chair.


    Human Biology and Kinesiology

    Check with the department.


    International Political Economy

    If you are interested in using a course taken while studying off-campus towards the IPE requirements, you should:

    1. Declare your major and consult an IPE advisor, if you have not already done so.
    2. Talk to your departmental advisor about courses in the intended off-campus study program that might satisfy requirements for the major.
    3. While students can and should come up with a few options for courses to take while off-campus, please note that IPE majors who study abroad can earn no more than one course towards the Economics side of the major, and one course towards the Political Science side.
    4. If the course you are submitting for review for the IPE major is an Economics course, be aware that these are generally approved as an upper-division Econ elective. As such, Econ courses taken off-campus for the IPE major must generally have Macroeconomics and Microeconomics as a prerequisite.
    5. Please note, you are REQUIRED to upload a syllabus to your course approval requests in Summit for Political Science courses towards the IPE major (a course description alone is not sufficient). 


    Mathematics & Computer Science

    Current course equivalencies are listed on the department's website for both the Budapest Semester in Mathematics and the Aquincum Institute of Technology (AIT) programs. Approval requests for other programs can be submitted via Summit.

    Mathematical Economics

    The Math/Econ program won’t approve courses taken off-campus towards the major or minor if you are not declared yet, so declaring is the first step.

    For economics courses, students may request pre-approval via Summit for one course per semester towards the Math/Econ major or minor taken off-campus, and these are generally approved as an upper-division elective. As such, courses taken off-campus typically must specify Macroeconomics and Microeconomics as a prerequisite. Students wishing to petition for something more than one class per semester should speak with the chair early in the academic planning process.

    For math courses, students should consult with the Math Department chair.


    Molecular Biology

    See relevant section of major's handbook online



    The music department at Colorado College offers block-length courses led by department faculty that travel abroad, including Bali, Ireland, and Germany among others. Students that wish to immerse themselves in international study for a greater duration of time (a semester or a year) may apply certain music-related credits earned abroad to the music major or minor.  To receive credit, students must submit to the department a copy of the syllabus for the course(s) taken.  Students may apply one (1) core-requirement course (300-level theory or history, but not MU393: Comparative Music Theory) towards their major or minor.   No more than two (2) elective courses may be applied to the major and only one (1) elective course may be applied to the minor.  Additionally, students may apply one-quarter credit (.25) of formal private vocal or instrumental instruction if these lessons are officially taken through their host institution.  One-quarter credit (.25) of ensemble participation from their abroad experience can also be applied as long as the student can provide the department with a copy of the program from a culminating public performance of that ensemble. (April 2013 policy).

    Semester and year-long programs that may be of interest for Music students



    Check with the department.


    Organismal Biology & Ecology

    The department of Organismal Biology & Ecology (OBE) has created a detailed section of their majors handbook dealing with off-campus study and credits earned. Please see the relevant section of the handbook.



    Check with the department.



    Physics majors who wish to take one of their major courses off-campus, either domestically or abroad, will need approval of the physics department to count the course towards their major.  Approval is preferably obtained before the course has been taken, but can also be applied for after the course is completed.  Students who do not obtain pre-approval risk not having the course count towards their major.  To apply for approval, students should fill out an “Exception to Degree” form in the physics department office and submit that form together with information about the course.  Information about the course must include a course description and the name and author of the textbook to be used in the course.  More detailed information such as a syllabus will make approval easier to obtain.  The student’s petition will be considered by the department at our next department meeting.  Department meetings are held on the first and third Wednesdays of the block.  The student will be notified by email of the outcome of the petition.    


    Political Science

    If you are interested in using a course taken while studying off-campus toward a major/minor in Political Science or one of the joint majors in which Political Science is a participant, you should:

    1. Declare your major and consult an advisor in the Political Science Department, if you have not already done so.
    2. Talk to your departmental advisor about courses in the intended off-campus study program that might satisfy requirements for the major or minor in Political Science or for Political Science requirements for one of the joint majors.
    3. While students can and should come up with a few options for courses to take while off-campus, please note that the Political Science department normally accepts only one unit taken abroad to fulfill requirements.
    4. Once you determine with your advisor which are the best course options for your time studying off-campus, you can submit an official course approval request using the Summit system. Please note, you are REQUIRED to upload a syllabus (a course description alone is not sufficient). 


    Pre-Health Track

    Students who are completing the pre-health track at CC should make an appointment to talk with advisor Jane Byrnes (Olin Fishbowl) about how coursework taken abroad can support and influence your future graduate program applications and eligibility. In general, students should plan to take the required pre-requisite courses at Colorado College, and not from foreign universities, as not all graduate programs will accept these credits. The exception to this would be the CC-approved science semesters offering Cell Biology, Statistics, and Organic Chemistry through Boston University in Grenoble, France and Madrid, Spain, because these courses come back on a BU (American) transcript. Other pre-health students may choose to select a program focusing on global health or public health or wildlife management, for example, to augment their future professional applications, but not replace coursework.



    You can transfer any or all of the non-psych department courses that are required for the major:

    • 1 math competency course (equivalent to CC’s MA 125, 126, 129)
    • 1 scientific breadth course (any non-psychology natural sciences course)
    • Thus, a maximum of 2 units.

    You can transfer up to 2 courses in psychology (subject to approval)

    • They can be 300-level courses or below. You cannot transfer a course to fulfill the psych major’s two 400-level requirements.
    • If you are transferring courses to fulfill the five “core” psychology courses (from content areas A, B, C, D, see department website for course listing),
      • If the approved non-CC course is on the same topic as one of the “core” courses we offer at CC, it will fulfill the content area requirement for that course (content areas A-D)
      • If the non-CC course does not match one that is currently offered at CC, it might be approved to replace the 5th course in the “core” requirement. You will still need to fulfill the requirement of having 1 course from each of the content areas A-D.
      • Thus, the maximum transfer for psychology courses will  be 2 core courses. E.g.,
        • One course from content areas A-D, and one course of a comparable level that is not normally offered at CC
        • Two courses from content areas A-D


    Race, Ethnicity & Migration Studies

    Check with the department.



    The Religion Department approves courses taken off-campus to count towards the major or minor only on a case-by-case basis, and only after a student has returned to campus (i.e., no pre-approval of courses through Summit). Students should talk to their Religion advisor, and save all relevant course materials (such as syllabi, papers, exams) to bring back with them to present to the department for review before decisions will be made about the feasibility of transferring a course from off-campus towards the major or minor.


    Russian & Eurasian Studies

    Check with the department.



    Sociology majors who study off-campus for a semester can generally receive 1 elective credit towards the major, assuming that the program of study undertaken off-campus includes at least one course with a social science dimension to it. Most off-campus study programs include available coursework in culture or society of the host country for students to select in order to satisfy this. Students who wish to receive this credit towards their Sociology coursework should submit the course request through the online Summit system. If a student wished to petition for a second elective credit towards the major for a program that included a larger degree of sociologically-related coursework, they may need to make a more specific petition request with the chair, and provide syllabi, assignments, etc.


    Southwest Studies

    Check with the department.



    The Department of Spanish does not pre-approve study abroad courses for major/minor transfer credit prior to student participation in CC pre-approved study abroad programs. It is recommended that students consult with their Spanish advisors during the application process. Upon return to campus, students must meet with their major/minor advisors to evaluate course materials (syllabi, essays, exams, etc.) for transfer credit toward the major/minor. Only courses that are comparable to the Department's courses will be considered for transfer credit.


    Theatre & Dance

    Students majoring or minoring in theatre or dance should consult with the department's chair before participating in off-campus study programs in the performing arts. It's possible, with departmental approval, to earn credits for the department's major or minor programs. The department considers such requests on a case by case basis.