Page Settings

  • Show menu: true
  • Use horizontal menu: true
  • Show sidebar: right
  • Skip to main content

    Travel & Re-Entry


    Get a travel signature from ISSS prior to international travel!  

    • You must have a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 form to return to the U.S. after travel abroad.
    • Each signature is valid for one year.  (F1 students on OPT: the travel signature is valid for six months).
    • A travel signature is issued by an advisor in ISSS to confirm that you are maintaining your F1 or J1 student status.
    • If your current travel signature will expire before you return to the U.S., you must request an updated travel signature
    • The travel signature is on page 2 of your I-20 form or the front page of your DS-2019 form.

    When you travel outside the United States, the following documents will be needed to re-enter the U.S. and may be requested by the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer at the port of entry.

    Documents to carry when you return to the U.S.:

    1. Valid I-20 or DS-2019 with a valid travel signature endorsed by ISSSpassport and visa
    2. Passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the date your will return to the U.S.
    3. Valid F-1 or J-1 visa  Note: Canadian students do not need a visa
    4. Proof of SEVIS I-901 fee payment
    5. Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements and/or copies of your scholarship letter
    6. Proof of Enrollment (copy of next semester schedule, unofficial transcript)
    7. EAD card and letter of employment (if on OPT)

    Travel within the U.S.:

    DHS regulations require that you have your valid passport with you at all times.  It is also suggested that you travel with your original I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 record.  Although this may not always be practical, we do encourage you to have these documents with you whenever you travel off-campus and especially for air travel.

    Travel without Required Documents

    Missing documents the last time you entered the US?  Find out what to do now if you received an I-515A at the border.

    Replace Lost Immigration Documents

    Lose your passport, I-20, or DS-2019?    Find out how to replace them.

    I-94 Arrival & Departure Record

    Information on your arrival and departure record in the U.S.

    Renew Your US Visa

    Is your visa about to expire?  Find out how to get a new one.


    Have you been sent to additional screening at the airport when re-entering the U.S.?  Have you been denied or delayed entry?  If you've had problems entering the U.S., you may file an inquiry using DHS trip, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).